Friday, February 18, 2011

True Love

You may have heard "I love____!" a thousand times, but wondered if it was love... true love. I have heard someone very wise say, "It is not love unless it hurts." That does not mean that it has to hurt all the time. But it means that it will hurt if it is true love.

Biblical love, is unconditional. That means that even if their actions or words offend you, that you still love them. I find myself loving people because they are "working for me". That is a fraud love. But true love can only be found in Jesus. He was, is, and always will be Love. "He came down when we were still sinners" the Bible says, and he died for all, once for all. That is true love, that He died the most brutal death so that we may come to him. Even when we screw up, because he does not give up on us, he will ALWAYS love us for who we are, not for what we have or haven't done.

Why would a loving God allow things to happen to his beloved children? Or why does God discipline us to the point where it sometimes hurts? Our definition of love is inside a box. God's love is incomprehensible. He loves us so much that he allows things to happen to us. Do you remember when you got disciplined by your parents? I know that my parents said that they loved me to much to let me disobey. They told me that it hurt them to see me act the way I did. That is a small glimpse of the Father's love for us. God also allows "bad things to happen to good people" because we have sinned. Not only that but this is a fallen world. We can't control what God allows and we shouldn't blame God.

1Corinthinans 13:4-8 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails.

Love,
Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment